“Itsy Bitsy Spider”, also known as “Incy Wincy Spider” and several other similar-sounding names, is a popular nursery rhyme and fingerplay. It is usually accompanied by a sequence of gestures that mimic the words of the song.
"Itsy Bitsy Spider" Lyrics
A commonly used version uses these words and gestures:
1. The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the waterspout.
2. Down came the rain
3. and washed the spider out.
4. Out came the sun
5. and dried up all the rain
6. and the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again.
1. Alternately touch the thumb of one hand to the index finger of the other.
2. Hold both hands up and wiggle the fingers as the hands are lowered.
3. Sweep the hands from side to side.
4. Raise both hands and sweep to the sides to form a semicircle as the sun.
5. Wiggle fingers upwards.
6. (as in the first line)
"Itsy Bitsy Spider" Chords
G The itsy-bitsy spider D7 G Went up the water spout. G Down came the rain and F G Washed the spider out. G Out came the sun and D7 G Dried up all the rain And the itsy-bitsy spider D7 G Went up the spout again.
"Itsy Bitsy Spider" Origins
The song can be found in publications including an alternative version in the book, Camp and Camino in Lower California (1910), where it was referred to as “Spider Song”. It appears to be a different version of this song using “blooming, bloody” instead of just “itsy bitsy”.
Lyrics as described in 1910, as being from the ‘classic’ “Spider Song”:
Oh, the blooming, bloody spider went up the spider web,
The blooming, bloody rain came down and washed the spider out,
The blooming, bloody sun came out and dried up all the rain,
And the blooming, bloody spider came up the web again.
"Itsy Bitsy Spider" Youtube Videos